GENERAL ENGLISH QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS FOR LDC , VILLAGE FIELD ASSISTANT , FIREMAN TRAINEE , PRISON OFFICER EXAM 2017
1. Choose the antonym of ‘Recalcitrant’:
2. ‘Ipso jure’ means:
(a) By the law
(b) Note below
(c) Without a day
(d) As things were before
3. Choose the correctly spelt word:
4. You gained an advantage ____ me.
5. The meaning of ‘Momentous’:
(a) For a moment
(b) Wort remembering
6. I will send you the money ___ the end of the month.
(d) None of these
7. Select the correctly spelt word:
8. Where does Usha work? ____the sales department.
9. Choose the word which is most opposite in meaning to the word ‘ENRICH’:
10. Everyone has heard of ‘phrasal verbs’,
(a) haven’t they
(b) hasn’t they
(c) will they
(d) do them
11. Choose the word which best expresses the meaning of the word ‘PREPONDERANCE’:
12. Manu is a lawyer. He specialises ___company law.
13. Pick out the word which is closest in meaning to the word ‘ASTONISHMENT’:
14. The reported speech of : ‘Don’t shout’, I said to Nancy.
(a) I told Nancy don’t shout
(b) I told Nancy not to shout
(c) I told Nancy didn’t shout
(d) I told Nancy not shout
15. I can’t find my binoculars. Do you know where _____?
(a) it is
(b) it was
(c) it has been
(d) they are
16. We complained ____ the editor of the news paper about the news.
17. It was a public holiday, so there were ___ shops open.
18. Choose the word which best expresses the meaning of the word ‘SQUANDER’:
19. The club committee is ____ of the president, secretary and seven other
(b) set out
(c) made out
(d) made up
20. Which is incorrect?
(a) A ten-rupee note
(b) A four-week course
(c) Two 12-years-old girls
(d) A five page letter
21. Choose the word opposite in meaning to the word ‘PRELIMINARY’:
22. Geetha suggested ____ to the cinema.
(a) to go
(c) is going
23. Choose the incorrectly spelt word:
24. Are you excited____ going away next
25. I couldn’t answer ____ of the questions they asked me.
26. A woman who is in charge of nursing and domestic arrangement in a hospital:
27. Raju bought ____ flowers to decorate the hall.
(a) flocks of
(b) heaps of
(c) bunches of
(d) clumps of
28. Which word is correctly spelt?
29. _____ is a very good form of exercise.
(b) The run
(c) To run
(d) Is running
30. He is always ____ in replying the letters.
31. Choose the word opposite in meaning to
the word ‘ENMITY’:
32. Rajiv Gandhi _____ Indira Gandhi as Prime Minister.
33. Woman who trained to help other women in child birth:
34. Choose the word opposite in meaning to the word ‘RESERVED’:
35. Arbiter means:
(c) Very bitter
(d) Appointed by two parties to settle a dispute
36. Point out the nearest antonym of the word
37. I expect my friend ____ the third of next month.
38. Choose the correctly spelt word:
39. Two dozen oranges ____ only twenty rupees.
40. I met a lot of people ____ my stay in New
41. Substance that prevents putrefaction:
42. I dislike ____ to my house.
(a) his coming
(b) he coming
(c) him coming
(d) None of these
43. He ____ reply to your letter as soon as possible.
(c) has been
44. When I opened the envelope, I was delighted to find a cheque ___ Rs.1000.
45. Students looked very bored _____ the lesson.
(d) None of these
46. The river divides the city ____ two parts.
47. Nobody believed Smitha at first but he____ to be right.
(a) came out
(b) turned out
(c) worked out
(d) carried out
48. Money isn’t the solution ____ every problem.
49. Extreme old age when a man behaves like a fool:
50. Select the correctly spelt word:
1 (c) 2(a) 3 (d) 4 (a) 5(c) 6(a) 7(d) 8(a) 9(c) 10(a) 11(b) 12(c) 13(a) 14(b) 15(d) 16(c) 17(a) 18(b) 19(d) 20(c)21(a) 22(b) 23(a) 24(c) 25(d) 26 (c) 27(c) 28 (a) 29 (a) 30(d) 31(c)32(d) 33(b) 34(d) 35(d) 36(b) 37(c) 38(a) 39(a) 40(c) 41(b) 42(a) 43(d) 44(d)45(c) 46(d) 47(b) 48(a) 49(c) 50(b)